Vegetable is a plant or part of a plant used as food.
For eg., Cabbage, carrot, betroot etc
Importance of eating raw vegetables:-
Vegetables give your children energy, vitamins,anti oxidants, fiber and water. They help protect your child against diseases later in life, including heart disease, stroke and cancer.
Why is it important to eat vegetables?
* Most vegetables are naturally low in fat and calories.
* Vegetables are important sources of many nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber andfolate.
* dietary fiber from vegetables, as part of an overall healthy diet helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease. Fiber is important for proper bowel function. It helps reduce constipation.It provides a feeling of fullness with very lesser calories.
* Vegetables helps in keeping eye and skin healthy and helps to protect against infections.
* It also helps to heal cuts and wounds and keeps teeth and gum healthy.
Ways to introduce vegetables to toddlers:-
Getting kids to eat more veggies is not easy.So here are some tips, as to how we can introducevegetables to toddlers:-
* Talk about the vegetables:- Before giving the vegetables, create curiosity about it.Tell some interesting fact about the vegetable.
For eg.,Today Amma 's hand is going to change colour.You can demonstrate by taking a beetroot and peeling it.
*Mix vegetables into favoutite meals:-Mix vegetables into their favourite recipes which they relish more.Like in noodles or in different varieties of breakfast.
*Continue to introduce and re-introduce vegetables:-Introducing and re-introducing vegetables regularly willhelp kids to self-regulate their food intake and grow to enjoy a variety of foods.
*Changing presentation:-Changing the way we cook the vegetables will create more interest in the vegetables and create a liking.
*Change appearance, Make it cute:-Making it look more interesting, presentable will increase the curiosity in them.
*Keep trying:- Keep trying veggies in different forms.Try them warm, cold, frozen, roasted, steamed, sautéed,etc,.
* Make it fun:- Let kids enjoy the veggies according to their choices.
*Incorporate more vegetables into their favourite dish:-Add veggies to dishes that kids like already.
*Be sneaky:- Add veggies towithout their knowledge.
*Encourage kids to express themselves:-Ask them few questions, with regard to the vegetable. Let them talk about the taste, their like and dislike with regard to the vegetables.
*Involve kids in cooking:-The more kids are involved, the more willing they will be to try their own creations.
*Blend them up in a smoothie :-Blend a single vegetable or few variety of vegetables together and prepare a smoothie and give them.
*Cover them in cheese :-Kids never turn down cheese.
So there are en number of options available to make kids eat vegetables.So,try out these options, make kids eat healthy and stay healthy.....